Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Working on some chairs :)

So this is a project that is in the works. 
I am recovering 2 chairs that were my neighbors. She didn't need them anymore and I loved the lines in the chairs and saw some great potential! She gave them to me- so nice. 

They were in rough shape to begin with but then inleft them outside for..... Oh... Like 8 months....
Through the rain and everything. So the ripped seats then became moldy seats... And the wood seat bases completely fell apart...
I removed the moldy seats for the picture in consideration of your lunch... No need to taste it twice...

This is what happens when you procrastinate!

But look at those lines!! So pretty :) just pretend you can see the vision in my head, haha.

So the first step was for me to cut new board for the seats.

I used the seat that was still somewhat in one piece as a pattern, the. Cut it out with our jigsaw. Which has a crooked blade, so my cuts were DEFINITELY not straight, haha. Or it was just user error...
I did have to cut the seats out twice because the first wood I cut it out of was too thick for the seats. So -take two- I used a different piece of wood. (Which I got from Taylor carpets in Provo. They have lots of free wood and pallets! In fact there are like 8 outside their building now!)

Btw, if you need some pallets, we have like 25.... Haha!

And then I used an old couch cushion for the foam and cut out the same shape. I used a combo of scissors and a steak knife to cut it out :)

So here is the foam and board cut out. Then I layered batting (given to me by a nice neighbor!) and waterproof fabric (given to me by my grandma!). 

Next is to staple-gun it all together. :)

As I'm writing this post, I am quickly realizing how cheap this project is.... So far- free!! 
That is my kind of project... 

Wish me luck so I don't staple a finger in the process!
Jamie


2 comments:

  1. Looking awesome!! let me know if you ever need more batting :) And I would love a pallet...I'll have to remember Taylor Carpets.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cannot wait to see these done! Yes, I love those lines too!

    ReplyDelete