Thursday, July 31, 2014

The Best Ideas are Made Together


So.
I wanted something to hang on the wall in our bedroom.
Pictures are always great- except when you're trying to sleep and there are just eyes staring at you! Super creepy, so I knew I didn't want pictures above our bed, haha. Tyler thinks I'm a little crazy :)
What about a painting? Perfect! I can do watercolor. So I came up with an idea for a collage of paintings that would all go together. As I talked to Tyler about it, though, he is not in love with the idea for our room. Don't get me wrong- he loved the idea- just not for our room :)
Hmmm a clock?? I can't stand the tick-tick-tick in the middle of the night. 
Finally I ask Tyler, "what do you think?"  Suddenly Singing commences and the clouds part! Haha

We came up with an idea TOGETHER!! And it means sooo much more to us than any other idea. 
Here it is!



See?? Way cool. We made it to look like trees in the forest, and like one of those carved hearts in a tree. The best part is that it's ours. Not just mine or his. 
We made this in installments. A little bit here and there after the kids were in bed so it could be like a date! 
We first drew the design on a big piece of wood that we got for free from Taylor Carpets by our home. (Pretty much all our wood comes from there, haha)
Then I cut it our with our jigsaw when I was 9 months pregnant...... :) I was just upset that the baby hadn't come yet and needed to wield a power tool-ok? 
Next was the heart.... So we just drew a heart. 
As for the names, Tyler wrote his and I wrote mine, that way we had each other's handwriting!
We used thumbtacks from the dollar store and a hammer to put it in the wall. Like so...
Okay, you don't need to hit it that hard! More like a soft tapping- don't wake up the sleeping kiddos.

We slid the cut 'trees' back behind our headboard so it looked more like they went all the way to the ground. 
 Then, ta-da!

We love it. Maybe I can give a tour of our bedroom and it's projects next week! It is my favorite room in the house so far :)
Happy Thursday!
Jamie 


3 comments: