Thursday, May 22, 2014

New Stairs and New Perspective

Here we go! This is the time I would usually spend reading other peoples blogs, so now I get to write one instead!
I was thinking of what to write when I looked up and saw the big elephant in our front room. PERFECT! So here is the elephant......



Stairs! Wait... I put that in the title of the post, so you probably knew what this 'elephant' was all along.... Oh well! Just act surprised :)

About 2 weeks ago, Tyler (husband) decided that our longing to use the attic space should finally be realized. He raced to Lowes, or Home Depot, can't remember...... He raced to the Home Improvement Store.... Much better :) he got there and realized that he didn't know how much wood to buy! You see- neither of us have built stairs- ever. So a long phone conversation and lots of googling/youtubing later, we halfway had it figured out. Not to mention Heavenly Father helping inspire our minds! Really, I mean, what can't you do when someone who knows everything is helping you out??

We used this website to calculate the cuts and math. http://www.blocklayer.com/stairs/stairseng.aspx
We just put in the measurements of our floor, wall, and how big we wanted each step to be. Then the website gave us this picture:

It lists where each mark should be made! Super easy! A few youtube videos later on how to cut stairs and Tyler felt pretty confident. 
I made all the marks on the wood, which was probably really funny to watch. I was crawling along the board with my big prego belly, scooting slowly along this 16 ft piece of wood, haha! All on the front porch. No wonder our neighbor think we're crazy..... 
So I went to bed and Tyler stayed up until who knows when! Like 5am! And I woke up to this:


Beautiful stairs! Cut, attached to the wall,and with the treads on top! Yeah.... He is pretty much uh-amazing :)

He's been working on the railing, cutting out the ceiling, and supporting the rafters. It has only taken him about a week to get the basics done! It just goes to show what we are really capable of if we focus and let The Lord guide. 

Here is the view from the front door. (And the homemade baby gate)




Now all of this has been 'no bueno' for my nesting. But it is worth it. And as long as ONE room in the house looks pretty, then the others don't really matter, right? ......right?? :) at least that is my new perspective. Since my energy has gone out the window with all these contractions, I've just had to cut things to the bare minimum. Like eating, feeding 2 little cute girls, loving them, and diaper changes. And MAYBE getting dressed somewhere in there.... 
And I've realized I'm still happy if I choose to be. Even with a construction zone living room, dishes, laundry, and dirt staring me in the face. Because I guess what really makes us happy is our relationships. With god and family. 
I'm glad to get this lesson on balance. Even though it's been a tough one to learn. :)

Wow! What a rambling! I guess that shows me what I can do with a little 'spare time.'

You're the best!!

Jamie


3 comments:

  1. Ha! That is so cool! Your hubby is diligent for sure. I am so excited to see this happening! Now I really want to see what is up there on that attic!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not so sure you do! We have found an animal from the probably the 60's and TONS of insulation.... I'm sure it gets better from here though :)

      Delete
  2. oh fun!! I love home improvement projects like this.

    ReplyDelete