Friday, June 27, 2014

While all the other plants in my house are dying....


This plant is thriving!
Only one issue.......

..it's growing out of my wall..... Not exactly the place I would have picked, haha :)

This plant has grown through this wall before, and I thought I had taken care of it- it just won't stop growing!

And yet, while my efforts to stop this plant aren't working- my efforts to grow plants aren't working either :) 

Exhibit A:
Exhibit B:
There is a growing plant in this picture, but it is actually a HUGE weed that is taking over the side of my porch. 
So, I thought someone might benefit from my what-not-to-do's that I have learned so well :)

Tip 1- don't follow the watering schedule of whenever-I-remember..... I've been doing that for years, and it hasn't worked very well, haha :)

Tip 2- don't keep moving poor plant from one pretty pot to the next and one spot in the house to the next. It starts to be too much for said plant.

Tip 3- no matter how pretty the plant will look in that spot without any sunlight, don't put it there. Really. It won't look pretty anymore when it's all withered. :)

So there are my tips! They're pretty much no- brainers for anyone with a green thumb, but these were hard earned lessons for me! 

And here are a few things that have worked!

Tip 4- get really sturdy plants. I have one in my bathroom that has survived freezing cold wind, neglect from water and sunshine, yet it still grows! And even blooms flowers in November! I've had it for over 5 years, now THAT is a record, people!

Tip 5- refill with extra potting soil once in a while. The soil in the pot will lessen over time- I have no idea why.... 
See the green pot in the back? That one needs some more soil (aka DIRT) :) I used a previously lost plant's soil. These are the three living plants I own :) see the pink flowers?!? That was a happy day :) the two plants in the front have already been filled. Then I gave each plant a good watering.
And yes.... I used a kitchen spoon.... Potting soil seems less dirty to me than actual dirt, so it didn't bother me.
Plus, the gardening shovel is in the backyard. That means I would have had to get my shoes on, open the door and walk around the house to get it..... Ain't nobody got time for that ;)

Tip 6- talk to your plants :) there are some cool studies done that show how plants grow really well when played classical music, yet wither and suffer when played heavy metal. I believe it's the same with speaking to plants! If you tell the plant that it's growing so well, then it will grow better! I'm convinced that is why the one plant I've had for five years has lasted so long. :)

Tip 7- get a fake plant.

See? Beautiful flowers, no water needed :) but the trick is to get real looking fake plants. Oxymoron, I know, but nevertheless, it's important :)

There you go! Now you can start your plant-loving adventure with these tips, or just carry on with your merry day and laugh at my craziness :)

Love, jamie 

1 comment:

  1. I just killed yet another house plant! However, I did manage to keep a hydrangea plant alive for three months last Summer!

    ReplyDelete