Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Take a Seat! Chair Update 2


So.
These chairs.
I'm not sure what to do....

Let me explain:
If you remember, I found this pretty vintage fabric that is original to the chairs.
I wanted to keep it! But there was none of this fabric hidden on the back of the chair. Let me show you what I mean:
There is no pretty vintage fabric underneath this part. So I decided to just take it off and replace it with a corresponding fabric...
I got some pliers in there and pulled the backing off. It pulled off a little TOO easy...


YUCK!! Pretty much pure mold. I'm pretty sure I can't salvage any of the original fabric or nails....
Bummer. 
DO NOT LEAVE INDOOR FURNITURE OUTSIDE!! As if that wasn't already common sense for everyone but me! :( I thought they 'would be fine.' 
Just wait to you hear the rest of the story...
So I then decided to just try to recover the whole top part with the same emerald green fabric for the seats. So I just ripped and pulled away.
This is the awful part... Put down your lunch/breakfast/snack/doughnut for a second. (Actually, if you're eating a warm maple bar, then you better eat that first. Because warm doughnuts are soooo good) 
Back to the story. I peeled it away and there was a spider egg in there! Ahhh! And earwigs!! *shiver*
As I would pull a nail away at a time, earwigs would fall out on me! And then I would scream. 
Don't worry neighbors, I'm just jumpy when it comes to earwigs....
Why? You should ask my brother... :) 

But like all things that might seam bleak in the moment- if you push on and say a little prayer- things start to look up!


Pretty right?!? Worth the few minutes of grossness. :)
These chairs are starting to take a design turn! 
So.
These chairs.
I'm not sure what to do!
To me the emerald green fabric just isn't matching the pretty wood back! Which I LOOOVE and am totally keeping. 
So what's a gal to do? Should I just make a wood seat to match the top? And forget all my efforts to make the current ones? 
I need some support! What do you think?
:) jamie




1 comment:

  1. I am thinking this is a "vintage revivals" moment. What would Mandy Gubler do? I am guessing she would use two stains on those chairs. Leave the wood seat light and add a modern triangle design or other geometric shape using a stencil and darker stain. Then stain the top part dark.

    ReplyDelete